City Council Highlights -November 7, 2016
By City Staff
At its meeting Monday, November 7, 2016, Sarnia City Council:
Heard a 2017 Budget Overview presentation by the Director of Finance.
- Long-term financial plan objectives include reducing debt, increasing reserves and reserve funds, maintaining affordable service levels, infrastructure renewal, and maintaining reasonable tax rates.
- 2016 Year-End Forecast as a percentage of budget predicts a surplus of 0.42% for operating, 0.5% for Transit, 0.32% for water rates, and a deficit of 0.01% for Police Services and 1.42% for sewer rates.
- 2017 Draft Budget Expenditures:
- 2.25% increase in General Operating expenditures to $71,543,950
- 3.34% increase in Police Services expenditures to $25,382,881
- 0.06% decrease to the Transit Area expenditures to $6,309,291
- 3.11% increase in the Water expenditures to $15,589,547
- 3.18% increase in the Sewer expenditures to $17,062,002
- Total 2017 draft Capital Budget is $37,049,817, with $29,120,890 funded through reserves (including $8,000,000 from the approved Small Communities Fund grant), and $7,928,927 possible from application-based grants. This budget includes no new debt, however does not address the infrastructure backlog.
- Draft General Levy increase for 2017 is 4.92% over 2016, and does not provide for any reduction in services or service level.
- A Public Input & Grant Session will be held November 14, 2016 at 6:00 p.m. Budget Deliberations will be held December 6, 2016 starting at 9:00 a.m. Water & Sewer Rates will be set December 6, 2016.
Heard a City Economic Development Update presentation by Director of Economic Development and Corporate Planning.
- Total 2016 budgeted expenses of $291,523.
- Department is responsible for developing, managing, marketing, operating and promoting The Sarnia Chris Hadfield Airport, The 402 Business Park, The Business and Research Park, The Sarnia Harbour, Mission Park, and Ferry Dock Hill Law Offices.
- Current Special Projects include Electric Vehicle Charging Station, Sarnia Gateway Sign, and Planning and Feasibility Analysis of Sarnia Oversized Load Corridor.
- Advertising and marketing initiatives include the Sarnia ‘Welcomes You’ Graphic at Bluewater Bridge, Sarnia/Lambton Travel Brochure, ads, Sarnia Harbour Website, and conference networking.
Sarnia-Lambton Economic Partnership Update presentation by George Mallay, General Manager will be rescheduled due to time restrictions.
Presentations can be accessed at the following link: https://sarnia.civicweb.net/filepro/documents/74232?preview=85348.
Heard a Governance Training presentation for Sarnia City Council by John Mascarin of Aird & Berlis LLP, which spoke to:
- Declaration of Office
- Council & Municipal Administration
- Open & Closed Meetings
- Municipal Accountability & Bill 8
- Municipal Conflict of Interest Act
- Councillor Records & MFIPPA
- Criminal Code
- Fiduciary Duty
- Immunity / Vicarious Liability
The Governance Training presentation (slide deck and video of the full session) will be available on the City’s website soon at the following link http://www.sarnia.ca/city-government/city-council/city-of-sarnia-workplace-investigation-and-related-materials.
City of Sarnia Workplace Investigation and related materials are available on the City website at the above link. In addition, a Frequently Asked Questions video, regarding the Workplace Investigation Report, is available at the above link, and the following link https://vimeo.com/190568546.
This article was posted Wednesday, November 9, 2016 12:02 PM
- [ 368.0 KB ]City Council Highlights - Nov 7, 2016
What is PDF? PDF stands for Portable Document Format and is a way of distributing documents over networks while ensuring they always print the same. To view PDF files, you need either the Foxit Reader or Adobe Reader