Public Meeting April 10: Rezoning Application 7-2016-85 of 2002
By City Staff
CITY OF SARNIA NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
Please be advised that a public meeting of City Council is scheduled for Monday, April 10, 2017, at 4:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers at City Hall, to hear the application listed below. Please check with the City Clerk for the time when this application will be dealt with.
Persons wishing to speak to this application are requested to notify the City Clerk on or before noon, Wednesday, April 5, 2017 in order to be placed on the agenda, although anyone in attendance will be given an opportunity to address Council on this matter.
REZONING APPLICATION 7-2016-85 OF 2002 is a City-initiated general amendment to the City’s Zoning By-law No. 85 of 2002. The purpose of this application is to bring the City’s zoning regulations into conformity with the Planning Act, which requires municipalities to permit secondary dwelling units in single detached, semi-detached and townhouse dwellings.
The proposal would amend the zoning regulations for secondary dwelling units in zones where the use is permitted. The proposed changes would reduce zoning regulations for secondary dwelling units, primarily for lot area and lot frontage requirements.
More specifically, the following changes are proposed to Zoning By-law 85 of 2002:
- Amend Section 2 to add a definition for “Dwelling Unit, Secondary” and modify definitions for “Dwelling, Converted” and “Habitable Room” and allow them as a permitted use in all UR2, UR3, UR4 and UR5 Zones;
- Add a new Subsection 3.10(4) to regulate secondary dwelling units, which would include:
- minimum and maximum floor areas
- minimum lot sizes and lot frontages
- restrictions in natural hazard areas;
- Amend Section 3.37(2)(a) to require a minimum of one parking space for a secondary dwelling unit, which may be provided in tandem;
- Amend Section 8.1 by removing “A converted single detached dwelling containing not more than 2 dwelling units” as a permitted use;
- Delete Section 8.2.2. in its entirety; and
- Amend Zoning Map Parts 1-83 of Zoning By-law by replacing them with updated Zoning maps that would include approved Official Plan natural hazard mapping.
The proposed By-law amendment would apply City-wide and for this reason no map is provided.
For more information about this application, contact the Planning and Building Department, 3rd Floor, City Hall, anytime during business hours (Tel. 519-332-0330 Ext. 3344); forward e-mails to email@example.com.
Copies of the comments of the various City Hall Departments and other agencies who have reviewed this application, the Planning Department's planning report with recommendations, and copies of the proposed zoning by-law amendment will be available at the Planning and Building Department, 3rd Floor, City Hall, on or after Friday, April 7, 2017.
Council agendas are posted on the City’s website at www.sarnia.ca or can be obtained from the Clerk’s Department, 2nd Floor City Hall, on Friday, April 7, 2017.
PLANNING ACT INFORMATION
- If a person or public body does not make oral submissions at a public meeting or make written submissions to the Council of The Corporation of the City of Sarnia before the by-law is passed, the person or public body is not entitled to appeal the decision of The Corporation of the City of Sarnia to the Ontario Municipal Board.
- If a person or public body does not make oral submissions at a public meeting, or make written submissions to the Council of The Corporation of the City of Sarnia before the by-law is passed, the person or public body may not be added as a party to the hearing of an appeal before the Ontario Municipal Board unless, in the opinion of the Board, there are reasonable grounds to do so.
Dated March 18, 2017
Dianne Gould-Brown, City Clerk
This article was posted Monday, March 20, 2017 1:00 PM