County of Lambton Council Highlights - February 7, 2018
By City Staff
Wyoming, ON – At its regular meeting Wednesday, February 7, 2018, Lambton County Council:
- Heard a presentation from Mr. Brad Zantingh regarding proposed amendments to Plympton-Wyoming's Official Plan.
- Heard a presentation from Tourism Sarnia-Lambton which is requesting a funding increase of $35,000 from the County in 2018 to cover additional operating expenses.
- Heard a presentation from the Sarnia-Lambton Economic Partnership which is requesting an additional $300,000 in funding from the County in 2018 to fill vacant positions and move forward on strategic projects and goals.
- Heard a grant request presentation from members of the Middlesex Hospital Alliance and the Strathroy Middlesex General Hospital Foundation which is asking for $1,050,000 over up to 10 years to replace an outdated x-ray suite.
- Heard a grant request presentation from The Deker Bauer Foundation for Suicide Prevention which is seeking $80,634 in temporary operational funding.
- Heard a grant request presentation from members of Sarnia-Lambton Crime Stoppers regarding the reinstatement of operational funding for a total of $13,000 in 2018.
- Heard a grant request presentation from representatives of Community Living Sarnia-Lambton for $45,000 towards the purchase of a minivan with a side-access or rear-entry wheelchair ramp.
- Received notice of motion from Councillor Mike Bradley who is asking Council to consider setting a policy regarding the provision of grants to healthcare organizations in the region.
- Held the Annual General Meeting of the County of Lambton Community Development Corporation for the Western Sarnia-Lambton Research Park.
- Received an annual update report from the County's Going Green Committee.
- Received a report regarding the status of discussions related to the possible integration of Tourism Sarnia-Lambton and the Sarnia-Lambton Economic Partnership.
- Appointed Kevin Marriott to the County's Agricultural Advisory Committee for a one year term.
- Appointed Councillors Doug Cook, Steve Arnold, Andy Bruziewicz, and Kevin Marriott to the County's Audit Committee.
- Directed the creation of a "No Parking" zone on the east and west sides of County Road 79 (Nauvoo Road) from County Road 39 (Confederation Line) north approximately 190 metres
- Directed staff to develop and finalize with the Municipality of Southwest Middlesex a one-year agreement regarding part time services to be purchased for the administration and enforcement of the Ontario Building Code at 100% cost recovery.
- Approved the addition of 2.0 full-time equivalent positions to the County's Building Services Department.
- Opposed Official Plan Amendments No. 41 and 43 to the Town of Plympton-Wyoming's Official Plan and noted that it is seeking party status in the Ontario Municipal Board appeal proceedings related to these applications.
- Refused Official Plan Amendment No. 42 to Plympton-Wyoming's Official Plan on account of inconsistency with the Provincial Policy Statement and non-conformity with the County Official Plan.
- Directed the Warden, Deputy Warden, and staff to request a meeting with local First Nation communities to discuss County-wide issues of mutual interest and concern.
- Directed staff to prepare a report regarding donations to the Sarnia Historical Society.
- Appointed Lonny Napper to the County's Accessibility Advisory Committee for a one year term.
- Approved the Supportive Housing for Youth Proposal by Sarnia-Lambton Rebound in the amount of $123,835 and recommended it to the Ministry of Housing for funding under the operating component of the Home for Good Program.
- Approved the Affordable Rental Housing Proposal by Lambton Supportive Transitional Housing Inc. in the amount of $980,000 and recommended it to the Ministry of Housing for funding under the capital component of the Home for Good Program.
- Approved the Housing Allowances to Maintain Successful Tenancies proposal by the Canadian Mental Health Association - Lambton Kent Branch in the amount of $644,955 for funding under the operating component of the Social Infrastructure - Investment in Affordable Housing 2018/19 Program Year.
- Requested staff to invite representatives of SouthWestern Integrated Fibre Technology Inc. to attend a future Council meeting to discuss timelines and milestones for its regional ultra-high-speed fibre optic network.
- Noted that Council will next meet to consider the 2018 Draft County Budget at 9:00 a.m., Wednesday, March 7, 2018.
Communications & Marketing Coordinator
County of Lambton
519-845-0809 ext. 5214
This article was posted Thursday, February 8, 2018 1:49 PM