Secondary Dwelling Units
- A Secondary Dwelling Units (2019) information brochure was prepared by the City of Sarnia Community Development Services and Standards Department.
- A “secondary dwelling unit” is a self-contained residential unit that includes its own entrance, a private sleeping area, kitchen, and bathroom facilities.
- Secondary units are permitted in single detached, semi-detached, and multiple-attached (townhouse) dwellings that are located in the Urban Residential 2 (UR2), UR3, UR4 or UR5 Zones.
- Secondary units are permitted in some, but not all, Urban Residential 1 (UR1) Zones.
- Secondary units shall provide a minimum gross floor area of 35m2 (377 ft2).
- Secondary units must meet the requirements of the City’s Zoning By-law and obtain necessary approvals, such as a building permit and fire safety inspection.
- [ 2.92 MB ]Secondary Units Brochure
What is PDF? PDF stands for Portable Document Format and is a way of distributing documents over networks while ensuring they always print the same. To view PDF files, you need either the Foxit Reader or Adobe Reader
This page was reviewed or revised on Tuesday, March 5, 2019 3:10 PM