City Departments and Services
Parks and Recreation
Special Events & Festivals
Special Events & Festivals
It is well known the importance of special events and festivals in contributing to Sarnia’s quality of life, local economic development and community identity. Special Events are fun, exciting and a rewarding experience for everyone who participates. Whatever the event is, it usually involves an incredible amount of hard work which would not be possible without the invaluable service of volunteers, community groups and sponsors that add their support and skills to enhancing these community events.
In 1989, Parks and Recreation was directed to develop a system for facilitating, marketing and managing Festivals and Special Events on Municipal Property for the use and enjoyment of the community and its visitors. The City of Sarnia, Parks and Recreation Department is a liaison to various event organizations that organize a continuous line-up of festivals and events that run through-out the year. As well, under the direction of Parks and Recreation, several annual festivals and events are held in the City of Sarnia.
In 1989, Parks and Recreation was directed to develop the Waterfront Program which consists of festivals and special events. The Waterfront Program which has been held annually for the last 21 years from May-September works in concert with community members for the purpose of maintaining and enhancing leisure opportunities at our waterfront that are positive, affordable and diverse.
APPLYING FOR A FESTIVAL OR SPECIAL EVENT ON MUNICIPAL PROPERTY
Planning and organizing assistance is provided to any community group, business, agency or citizen planning a special event on city owned lands (ie. Park or road allowance) The management of special events and Festivals on municipal property requires the coordinated effort of City staff and additional affiliated agencies which saves time and energy and informs the Event Organizers how to effectively use City resources to ensure safe event operation and adherence to applicable City by-laws, policies, permits and procedures. If deemed necessary, Community Services will initiate the one “stop” shop process by arranging a meeting with the Event Coordinator and advisory staff from various City Departments and affiliated agencies to discuss specifics to their event.
To have your Festival/Event considered to be held on Municipal Property, the Event Organizer must follow the following procedures.
- Complete the Special Event Application and Tracking Form on this web page and return to Sarnia Parks and Recreation.
- Please read, sign and date the Terms & Conditions for Rental (attached) on the back of the Special Event Application Form.
- A “covering/notification letter” should accompany the Special Event Application Form with a brief description of your activities, special requests and/or requirements and equipment needs for your event.
- If applicable, upon receipt, review and approval of your Special Event Application Form, you will be issued a Rental Contract/Permit which will include your rental costs and information and will indicate that your Festival/Event date is being held..
- As of the 1st Monday in January, the Parks and Recreation Office will accept rental requests from the Community based upon when they were received in the Office. (Annual Users have priority)
- Please contact Lynn Bouchard to discuss any issues related to your Event (I.e. Insurance, Vendors, Road Closures, Tent Permits, etc.) Many of the Forms pertaining to your Event are on the web page or can be picked up in the Parks and Recreation Department Office.
- Your Special Event Application Tracking Form and applicable Forms will be circulated to City Department/Affiliated Agencies for their notification, processing and approval.
- Final Approval for you to host your Festival/Event on Municipal Property will be determined by the Director of Parks and Recreation or Designate.
Check-lists and a Special Event Manual are available upon request
We hope you take the opportunity to visit and support the exciting festivals and events that take place in our community.
Please forward inquiries to:
Lynn Bouchard, Recreation Co-ordinator
City of Sarnia, Parks and Recreation Department
Monday, December 17, 2012 3:13 PM
Fire Dept. Merchandise NO Food
Fire Dept. Mobile Truck and Trailer
Fire Dept. Portable Equipment
Community Health Services Special Event Requirements for Food Vendors
Community Health Services Special Events Application Food Vendors
Communtiy Health Services Special Event Application for Event Organizers
Road Closure Notification/Request
Special Event Application
Special Event Terms and Conditions